Call for Applications
Fellowship of Reconciliation Peace Presence (FORPP) is a non-governmental organization dedicated to providing safety, political visibility and solidarity to communities and individuals at risk in Colombia who are working to promote human rights, peace and justice. In addition to providing ongoing physical accompaniment to our partners, we also provide political accompaniment through meetings with Colombian civil and military officials as well as embassies, UN and other international officials. We provide visibility for these struggles through delegations, speaking tours, publications and an online presence, building bridges between communities in the global North and South on issues important to both. We are now opening a call for applications for a new round of international accompaniers.
- Provide international protective and political accompaniment to our partner organizations and movements throughout Colombia. This includes ongoing information gathering and security analysis as a permanent human rights observer in conflict zones.
- Work to uphold human rights and international humanitarian law through supporting the FOR Peace Presence Coordination with political advocacy with the diplomatic core in Bogota.
- Help grow a global grassroots solidarity network to support nonviolent peace initiatives in Colombia through delegations, speaking tours, short videos, written articles and other social media outlets.
- A clear understanding of and commitment to nonviolence.
- Proficiency in both Spanish and English (or a commitment to learning Spanish to a proficient level before service commences).
- A strong commitment to teamwork.
- Minimum commitment of one year.
- Minimum 24 years of age to apply.
- Resilience, the ability to work effectively under intense pressure and stress.
- Willingness to live in an extremely rural environment
- Sensitivity to and the ability to work with people of different cultures demonstrated through previous experience with people of another culture. Experience in the field is an asset, but is not required. Familiarity with rural communities is also helpful.
- Familiarity with consensus decision-making.
- Ability to represent the project in a professional and appropriate manner, in a wide variety of settings.
- Ability to track and analyze information that is pertinent to the safety of volunteers, the need for external support, and/or the opportunities for enhancing the work.
- Basic computer skills.
- Reasonable proficiency with writing reports, summarizing information, and capturing stories through anecdotes or interviews, is highly recommended. Some familiarity with photography is recommended.
- Other skills that may be useful but are not required include experience with first aid, translating and interpreting, cooking, and other skills of daily life.
- A good working knowledge of the current situation in Colombia is highly recommended.
Team members are expected to do outreach and share their experience (speaking, writing) after service in Colombia.
FOR Peace Presence covers living expenses (food, lodging, and travel when doing FOR work) in the field during the term of service (in addition to providing a monthly stipend and health insurance). Team members are strongly encouraged to raise money to assist with their personal expenses while serving on the team.
FOR Peace Presence will provide extensive training, which includes the following: reading materials, FOR Peace Presence-led training sessions in Colombia, self-study plans, and where appropriate attendance at conferences, classes or trainings on specific topics. In addition to training, each qualified applicant will be interviewed. The interview and training process is a mutual-discernment process — to help the applicant decide if serving in this project is a commitment he or she would like to make, and to help FOR Peace Presence determine if he or she is adequately prepared for the experience.
The next training will be from 24th-28th July, 2017 in Bogotá, Colombia. Applications and references are being accepted until 15th June, 2017. Following submission of the application, we will contact qualified applications for a telephone/Skype interview (if you are in or around Bogotá, this interview can take place in person). If successful, an invitation will be extended to join the week-long training.
Download the application and reference form on our webpage:
Thank you very much for your interest in FOR Peace Presence and in the situation of human rights’ defenders and peacebuilders in Colombia! We look forward to hearing from you.